Here's some starter advice for anyone moving to Florida - lots of stuff we learned after we did move here. Lots of differences from living up North? Absolutely and yes, I would say all of these are true.
Lots of spirit here in Florida and lots of straight talking fun in the Sunshine State.
ADVICE FOR ANYONE MOVING TO FLORIDA:
1. If you don't like the weather in Florida, wait 15 minutes, it will change
2. If you do run your car into a ditch, don't panic. Four men in the cab of a four wheel drive with a 12-pack of beer and a tow chain will be along shortly. Don't try to help them. Just stay out of their way. This is what they live for.
3. Remember: "Y'all" is singular. "All y'all" is plural. "All y'all's" is plural possessive.
4. Get used to the phrase "It's not the heat, it's the humidity". And the collateral phrase "You call this hot? Wait'll August."
5. Don't tell us how you did it up there. Nobody cares.
6. If you think it's too hot, don't worry. It'll cool down-in December.
7. A Mercedes-Benz is not a status symbol, a Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, or Ford is.
8. If someone says they're "fixin" to do something, that doesn't mean anything's broken.
9. The value of a parking space is not determined by the distance to the door, but the availability of shade.
10. The coldest spot in all of Florida any time of year is Publix. Don't forget to bring your shopping sweater.
11. BBQ is a food group. It does NOT mean grilling burgers and hot dogs outdoors.
12. Yes, weddings, funerals, and divorces must take into account for Gators,Canes or Noles Football games.
13. Do not tell Floridians you hate snakes, gators or sharks. They were here first apparently and don't deserve your hate.
14. DO NOT honk your horn at us to be obnoxious, we will sit there until we die.
15. We pull over and stop for emergency vehicles to pass.
16. We pull over for funeral processions, turn our music off and men remove hats or caps. Some people put their hand over their heart.
17. "Bless your Heart" is a nice way of saying you're an idiot.
18. Did I mention absolutely every body of water in Florida is assumed to have at least one alligator and/or crocodile just waiting for you to visit.
19. Did I mention If you don't like the weather in Florida, wait 15 minutes, it will change!